We made it! It's HOT here! The air was so noticeably humid as soon as we stepped off the plane in Bangkok. I must say that I'm not loving the heat at this point! But at least we're here safe and sound. The plane rides were horribly long - we were in the air for about 18 - 19 hours total.
For those of you that may not have heard, the van that we were supposed to drive to the airport on Friday morning, broke down the night before. Yes, panic ensued. We are grateful to my grandparents and great aunt for getting us to the airport as our emergency option. Things are still trying to be arranged for us to get home when we arrive back on July 22. If anyone has any ideas, please email me (Jacqueline) at faith_and_promise@hotmail.com. We earlier wrote that you could write to Maryanne at her shaw account, but last night I realized that she can't access that account from here... so nevermind that!
The rest of the family is out by the pool, maybe I'll go join them.
But first, I'll give you my first thoughts on Thailand:
- the humid, hot air that I already mentioned
- the crazy driving! The roads are in opposite order to ours (like the British, as well), so we found it very strange driving down the LEFT side, instead of the RIGHT. Our taxi van drove VERY fast (and seemingly crazily to us). The traffic lanes and intersections seem so weird, and the vehicles travelling on it seem quite strange, too. You see a lot of motorbikes... not Harleys, though.... all those sport types of bikes. Some of the riders are only in sandals!
- The street scenes.... mind you, I've only seen them during the night at this point, but there are still people milling about! There are a lot of dogs, too, and lots of food vendors. They are alive with movement. The buildings are a mish mash of age and quality. There are tall, fancy towers next to tiny little rundown shacks. You can never tell what you'll see next.
Ok, time to go. Hope you're all doing well at home. Today is a "taking it easy" day. (I spent most of the afternoon so far trying to get some sleep). Tomorrow we will probably to a palace tour and hopefully get to see the Floating Market.
Jacqueline
Sunday, July 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Make sure to ride a tuk-tuk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuk-tuk
If Maryanne knows her password she can check her email at webmail.shaw.ca
Hey Jacqueline! I'm glad to hear you and your family made it safely there after all that flying. I hope you get over the jetlag/sickness really quick so you can enjoy the rest of your trip :) I'm excited to see pictures, but I know you might not have the chance to post them for a while. I'm glad you got to do a cannon ball :) I'm praying for you!
Post a Comment